Tuesday, March 30, 2010

It Can ONLY Be Christ

Dark Knight: Interrogation Scene - theologizing in the oddest places ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5C0_jDBxJ8w


The insight tonight comes from the villain, the Joker. Specifically I am focused on 2:00 through 2:20 in the video. The one thing which must be decided upon, that thing which is so precious to us but we may have to do without in order to do what is right.

"There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."
(Proverbs 14:12, 16:25)


So I'm thinking of what keeps me from giving my all for Christ. There may be some element of sin within it, and if I am to be honest it would have to do with fear. I have a fear that I may never have that which I hold on to so desperately. I have something which I keep deep in my heart. I may have yet to surrender this to God, because I fear that I may have to do without, or even worse, I fear that God may never provide this for me. Intellectually, I understand and believe I will be better and do more without. This is where my fear kicks in, because there is something I want but if God does not want that for me then I must let go of it. As Abraham holding Isaac on the alter, so must I hold that which is most dear to me and be willing to drop the blade across it's neck.

The fear is simply this, "Is life worth living without this?" I have come to conclude that until this has been let go, I will not be totally committed to Christ. This, again, is the problem. A.W. Tozer's works compiled in "The Radical Cross" are pleading with us to change our view of the cross. The cross today is a cartoon, but to Christ, it was his death bed; a shameful bed which He scorned yet still bared. The horror He faced as He dragged His cross, it may for some of us be duplicated in the crosses which we must bare ourselves.

"...let it slay you utterly."
(Tozer speaking of our cross to bare)


So why can it only be Christ? Because if it is not for Christ then it is for self or for somebody else. God wants us, ALL of us, not just what we would like to place in His hands. Not merely our sins to grant us mercy, but our HEART that we might truly Love. If we are living for anything more than we live for Christ, then we are deceiving ourselves hoping what we are willing to offer will suffice.

I cannot, however, say that all peoples should come to this conclusion. My point is simply this: That which we want the most may have to be sacrificed for the better to be made known. What we want, may not be what we need. It may actually hold us back from truly being great; from living a life worth remembering. If our motivation is to work towards that which we want, then we need to re-evaluate ourselves and fix our eyes yet again on Jesus. If He turned from God's will we would have no hope. We have to emulate this so that others may benefit from our lives, and more importantly, so that Christ may be glorified.

"There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love."
(1 John 4:18)

No comments:

Post a Comment