Thursday, April 22, 2010

Are We Out to Answer Objections?

This is a very notable passage from an online article I found while researching postmodernism.

While postmodern theology is generally atheistic in nature, we recognize that some individuals become atheists because they believe that Darwin solved the question of life's ultimate origins. Others become atheists because they look upon God's moral order as "too restrictive." Still others agree because they agree with Freud that, "God was a projection. When children have problems, they run to their father for protection. When adults have problems, the project their earthly father into the skies, and they run to this entity for comfort" Some look at all the evil in the world and decide that no loving God could allow such a situation.


This is very interesting as it displays simply reasons why people don't want God, and in most of these I can see nothing more deep seeded than the sin of pride which leads to idolatry. Pride in that in each situation man is exalted above who he/she really is. With the exception of Darwin, these situations seem to point to man simply not wanting to adhere to Biblical authority. Man comes to believe he/she has become more than what God has revealed. This is simply a lack of research and investigation, which in turn sucks the Darwinians into the same category, who at least have made an option of the situation at hand [I can at least respect their refusal for the acceptance of an alternate view even though I do not believe it true].

Here is where I become concerned. With so many people simply shrugging off God as a preferrance to not having Him around, how far do I go in convincing these people?

I truly feel it worth while, worth a life of study, to learn and develop in various fields of academia so as to be most effective not in merely teaching others, but in destroying the veil that blinds the eyes of unbelievers. If I am able to convince scientifically, philisophically, logically, emotionally, theologically, simply in every imaginable way that Christ is the Way, Truth, and Life, then I pray to be able to do so. Yet I am in full knowledge that all of this would be for not because in the end the matter of conversion or simply salvation is a spiritual matter. So am I called to go and answer these objections, or am I simply to love. How can I love without convincing intellectually? How can I be effective if I don't know and understand their reasoning? And most hopelessly, how can I afford the time and energy to put forth such studies?

In the end, I only pray that God do with me as He wills. I will do as much I can to uphold my convictions, and balance relationships along with them. Yet I will always be plagued by thoughts of 'how deep do we go?'

"The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned." - Isaiah 9:2
"As for you, you were dead in your transgressions and sins, in which you used to live when you followed the ways of this world and the ruler of the kingdom of the air, the spirit who is now at work in those who are disobedient. All of us lived among them at one time, gratifying the cravings of our sinful nature and following its desires and thoughts. Like the rest, we were by nature objects of wrath. But because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions - it is by grace you have been saved." - Ephesians 2:1-5
Clearly God stopped at nothing to find us, so I feel I should find no limit in what I might do in order to be a more than credible witness.

No comments:

Post a Comment