Wednesday, August 25, 2010

The Test of Death

Psalm 23: The LORD is my shephard, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in green patures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff they comfort me. You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows. Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.


The test of death is first to the dying and second to those left behind. To the one who passes, trust must be given, hope remained, and love endured through the pain of the last days. The realization of the certainty of this life's end hits hard and fast, despite the knowing all along that the grave would come some day. The trust must remain, because the Lord has been good to us throughout our entire lives. From common grace to Amazing Grace, the Lord has always done for us more than we could ever deserve. The passing may be painful, but the final destination will be the place of promise, where weeping has ceased and all that was hidden will be revealed. In the place of promise, we will see Him as He truly is, and we will be set in Glory with Him who is of INFINITE WORTH. To be with God forever more. The test is unavoidable, and the only way to pass is to trust and rely on Christ and His work on the Cross now through to the meeting in the place of promise. Peace, is truly upon those people, but without Him we will fail the test of death...and passing through death alone will be worth all the fear we are instilled with here and now because we will meet the Judge and will have nothing with which stand in defense. We will be ruined upon death without Christ, for Jesus IS the LIFE. Apart from Him, is death and death eternal.

For the second party, we are left to trust Jesus to leave our hope in Him and His work on the Cross. What is more is merely that we must now do so without the person who has passed. Great sadness is to be found in our loss, but even more JOY to know that the person who has passed has passed on to the place of promise...the promised land. We have one less peg to stand on, He has one more soul restored. To be sad upon death is not selfish because we are at a loss, but God is still to be praised for the one who has passed has indeed been bought...but if not, then the tears deserve to be neverending. If the passer has not be paid for then our joy SHOULD be stricken, because this loved one is no longer going to be comforted by Grace. May it never be so, that we let even one pass and go without the knowledge of Christ on the Cross, that they may be able to hear and have seed sown.

The test of death will come. Pass or fail is not dependant on us. Jesus died for His people, and we trust because He has called us. His Love alone will bring us through. The test of death will come. It may cause us to flee from relationships so as to never have to encounter such a great test but let not the hallow life take us, let us trust through it all. God is love.

1 comment:

  1. I've been so accustomed to facebook that I was looking for the 'LIKE' button here..hahaha..maybe blogger should consider putting one noh?
    I agree with you here, that death takes a two-fold path..i found this helpful as there was a great Filipino Pastor who recently had untimely passed away. I think that news really had different effects on the christian community here in the Philippines.
    Anywho, thanks for this B.
    Continue writing for God's fame and renown.
    Be blessed!

    ReplyDelete